Sunday, September 4, 2011

3 and 1



This is Beau's slightly late 3 year post. I can't believe I even just wrote that! He is officially a big boy now. It doesn't really make me sad to say that. I am so happy that he grows and changes, although I wish it wasn't such a quick blur. He is 95% delightful, 5% in time out. Ha. He is 100% talking, talking, talking! Always asking, "BUT WHY??". Literally, 100 times a day (really, 100 times!) - "but, why, mommy?" I will admit that there have been several times that I have asked him to stop asking why and do you know what his response has been? "But WHY do I have to stop asking why, mommy?" I know it was wrong for me to ask him to stop asking why because I hope he never stops wondering "why?". For now, it means that we are in constant conversation. Especially in the car. We have conversations like this:
Beau: Look at that bucket truck, mama.
Me: Yes, I saw it.
Beau: What does that bucket truck do?
Me: Well, that it a bucket truck for the power company. They are using it to fix the lines.
Beau: But, why?
Me: Because the lines are broken.
Beau: But, why are the lines broken?
Me: Because the storm knocked them out.
Beau: But why did the storm knock them out, mama?
Me: It's summer and we are getting lots of storms
Beau: But, why are we getting lots of storms?
Me: Well, you see, when it's really hot and then cold air moves in from...(trailing off)....hey, look kid, why don't we ask your daddy when he gets home. We are at Costco now.
Beau: But why?

He's cute. For all of that car talking, one would think that he would never have time to take in the music he is hearing. But, apparently, he does! The other day we were pulling in to the parking lot of the grocery store when "Don't Stop Believin' " came on the radio. I parked and turned the car off in the middle of the lyric "Street lights...." and when the radio turned off, Beau finished it up..."PEEEEEOOOOPPLEEEE!!!!" I love that song, but we really don't sing it around the house or anything, so I was pretty surprised to hear that he knew the words! And mostly very proud. Love that song. Love that boy. Speaking of singing, he often gets in a musical mood. He loves to sing "Kinkle Kinkle Wittle Star". Also, he frequently asks for Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. He doesn't know it is a reference if you don't tell him, friends! He just likes all of the fun imagery I think. We still all love Yellow Submarine. But the big song around here is Life is a Highway (Rascal Flatts version) from Cars. He can't get enough of it and sings it all of the time.  Just today he heard "Dream Weaver" and reminded me that it is the song that plays on Toy Story 3 when Ken meets Barbie.  Wow!
Beau is starting to have a really active imagination.  He has an imaginary friend, named Ceelow.  No, he has never heard of the singer.  We don't listen to top 40 music much at all or really even ever. Ceelow is a pig.  He was rescued from Grandma Betty's Farm at the Children's Museum and he now resides in our house. Ceelow is usually trapped in a burning building or in a tree and Beau has to gear up in his boots and fire helmet and save him.  This happens probably a dozen times a day in various forms.  Also, his real life sleep lovey called "Lovey Dog" is also a constant companion in adventures.  Lovey Dog is usually hungry for toast with jelly for breakfast, or wants to take a ride in the car or would like to help with the shopping.  Beau often morphs into a racecar and vrooooooooooms laps around the house.  My job is to say, "gentlemen, start your engines!  On your mark, get set, go!".
Beau is the most amazing block builder for his age.  He really can build anything.  Firetrucks, boats, fire stations, eighteen wheelers, helicopters, planes, anything that goes.  His creations are remarkable and are far better than anything I could ever do.  They are almost as good as the things that Edward can build.  Clearly, Beau got his talent from his father.
Beau's favorite books right now are Goodnight Moon, Runaway Bunny, The Big Red Barn (We love Margaret Wise Brown!), Terrific Trains, Flashing Fire Engines, Spot Loves His Daddy, Dig Dig Digging, and Wheels on the Go.
Beau just started "school" in his 3 year old class.  He does great at school and has the best time.  So far, his behavior has been excellent.  I expect that to slide a bit as he becomes more comfortable!  His teachers are just so wonderful and he loves them.  He is excited for school each day.  I hope that continues!
Beau is also such a little love.  He loves to hug and tells us constantly that he loves us.  Sometimes I feel that the "I love yous" are associated with foodstuffs, however.  For instance, we were driving to a picnic in the park and I revealed that I was in possession of a bag of Doritos to go with our sandwiches.  Beau's response: "mama, I love you.".
We sure do love our little guy!



And now on to Henry Bear.  What to say about our precious one year old?
Well, I suppose that I can start with how his feeding is going.  The reflux, milk protein allergy, screaming refusal of food is a thing of the past!  Praise the Lord!!  He is drinking whole milk, and eating whatever he pleases.  And lots of it!  I can now make a round of grilled cheese for the whole fam, which is awesome.  He  LOVES Papa John's pizza!  He is a big fan of corn on the cob and all varieties of fruits.  He will pretty much eat whatever it is that we have for dinner and if he doesn't like it then he eats a big breakfast in the morning.  It feels so great to not have to have weight and feeding issues as a worry anymore!  Whew....glad we are over that hump!
Now on to actually summing up our Henry Bear.  He is feisty.  My mom calls him Baby Erin.  ha.  I suppose I may have been somewhat of a demanding infant and toddler.  He is not very easy going.  If he doesn't like something, he lets us know with either a word repeated over and over again or constant moaning.  If his plate is empty he says, "GOOD!  GOOD!  GOOD!" until we refill it with the desired food.  He loves cheerios and goldfish and calls them "chee".  We hear lots of "CHEE!  CHEE! CHEE!" during the day.  Same with milk.  He lets us know!
If Beau is advanced with blocks, then Henry's area of expertise is trains.  He loves the train table.  It is the first thing he pulled up on and he has been at it ever since.  He stands there for long periods of time and finds his favorite engines and cars, lines them up and pushes them through the tunnel, over and under bridges and in and out of Tidmouth Sheds, all the while happily shouting "choo choo!!"  He quickly caught on to the fact that the train table is much more fun if he track is left undisturbed, so he has been very good with leaving everything intact.  This makes his brother very happy!  This also makes me happy!  The train table helps our family get lots of other things accomplished in the house (read: laundry, dinner).
Henry is also very into Cars the movie.  He calls it  "Carsh!"  It's so cute.  His favorite books are Go Go Trucks, Pat the Bunny (we call it PTB), Where's Spot?, Spot Loves His Mommy, and Goodnight Little Kittens.  And he sleeps with a lovey sheep that we call Sheepy.
Henry still loves to sing Yellow Submarine.  He also loves to try his hand at the ABCs, but he doesn't quite have them down just yet.  :-)  He loves "When you're happy and you know it" and also "Itsy Bitsy Spider".  Sometimes, he still lets me rock him while I sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".  I know this won't last much longer.
Henry has been walking since almost right after his first birthday.  He is quite steady by now, but still manages to run into things and fall down quite a bit. As a result, he stays bruised.  Beau still continues to stay bruised so I am thinking that this is one of those long phases.
Speaking of Beau and Henry, they are really best friends.  They are sometimes enemies, but mostly friends.  They give each other hugs and kisses several times a day, many times unprompted.  They also wrestle lots.  They argue over toys.  There can be squealing and biting.  But then I will turn around and Henry will be feeding Beau, or Beau will be combing Henry's wild hair or they will be making each other giggle wildly.  We call them the Bear Cubs.  I think that best describes it.

We are so blessed with Beau and Henry!!